6) SCORE AND BAKE
- Preheat your oven to 450°F, with a baking stone if you have one.
- Once preheated, transfer the baguettes, maintaining seam side down, onto the baking surface (baking stone, baking pan, etc.).
- Cut three slashes up the length of the baguette on an angle, with about 1/4 inch between the cuts.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. If you wish to add steam for a crispier crust, put an uncovered, oven-safe pan filled with an inch or so of water next to the bread.
- Test for doneness by tapping the bottom of the baguettes - they should sound hollow.
- When done, cool on a cooling rack completely before enjoying. We love these baguettes dipped in olive oil or with a spread of lebne and sea salt.
Note: Dough can be formed into one large ~900g boule instead of two baguettes. Baking time will need to be increased to 35-40 minutes to account for the larger mass of dough.